Connect with us






A 51-year-old father of three, Gilbert Obinwa, sorrowfully narrated how his son’s disappearance since he was allegedly whisked away by security agents, who invaded his house on April 24, 2022, has affected his family.

public servant. from Okpo community in Ekwulobia, Aguata Local, he is married with three children – two male and a female.

According to him, It is very true. It happened on Sunday, April 24, 2022, around 2 pm. I came back from the church and was relaxing in the backyard when suddenly five heavily armed security agents stormed my compound and started walking around the whole place. Some of them stayed back in the vehicles they came with. Two of them walked straight to the back of the compound, two others went inside, one was outside.
They came in one Toyota Sienna and a red Toyota Camry. The Sienna had multiple colours and ‘Awkuzu CID’ was written on it, but nothing was written on the Camry. The whole thing was playing out like a movie to me.

They said they were from the State Criminal Investigation Department, Awkuzu they wore camouflage with armless jackets.

They said they were looking for my first son, as they kept ransacking the whole place; all the rooms in my house were ransacked that day, but they did not see the person they said they were looking for. Not satisfied that they didn’t see him, they went away with my second son and another boy they met in the sitting room that day, as well as a motorcyclist, and till today, we have yet to set our eyes on any of them. My son’s name is Maduabuchi Obinwa and he is 22 years old. He is a student.

My first son is 31 years old. He is a native doctor. He uses herbs to cure people of sicknesses, treat wounds and set bones, and also takes care of pregnant women. He had left to attend to a patient who needed his attention by the time they came.

I was very confused. When my daughter tried to ask them where they were taking the boys, they replied, “If you ask us that question again, we will send you to your ancestors.” The girl had to keep quiet and that was how we watched as they whisked the boys away.

The security agents did not respond to enquiries from anyone, not even me. They threatened anybody that dared to ask, including my wife. The way they came in a commando-like style with heavy arms, no one could dare ask them a question a second time. They were just ransacking the whole place, maybe thinking he hid somewhere.

The boy they went away with along with my second son is the apprentice of my first son. He came home that afternoon to collect something for his boss. The motorcyclist was the person that brought him that afternoon and he was waiting for him outside the compound so that he could take him back to where they were coming from before the policemen stormed the place. The security officers took away my son and the other boy in the compound and as they were going, took the motorcyclist along also on April 24, 2022. We have not seen or heard from any of them since then. Their mobile phone lines have remained switched off since then.

I have asked my Son on several occasions, why the police came looking for him. he said he was not aware of any reason the police were looking for him. And the police have not come back again to check since then.

Life has not remained the same with me and my wife. Life has been very horrible. Every day, we visit the hospital because of my wife’s condition; the situation (my son’s absence) left her with high blood pressure, which has become both a financial and physical burden on me. The thought that one’s child has been missing alone puts one down. I am like a walking corpse. It has been very traumatic for me and my wife and the rest of the family.

I believe my son is still alive and something strongly tells me that he is still alive. I just want to know where he is.

We have been to almost all the police facilities that we know of in the state without any success. We have been to Awkuzu state CID on several occasions, but they told us that the children were not there. The painful aspect is that we have spent a lot of money on this process. This is because each time we visited any of the police facilities, we were made to pay between N20,000 and N50,000 before they gave us attention, and at the end of the day, we won’t get a positive outcome. Whenever I called my son’s phone, it indicates that it is switched off. Before the elections, we went to the Zone 13 police headquarters in Ukpo, but they did not attend to us. When we came back, we were advised by a legal practitioner to write a petition to the police authorities in Abuja and complain officially. We were in the process before last Saturday’s elections and now that the first phase of the elections is over, we will continue the process.

All the affected families are together looking for them. Recently, some people used a device to track their phones. The tracker indicated that their phones were in a bush in Nteje. We called the attention of the police to provide cover for us so that we could trace the phones inside the bush because that place is deadly, but the police refused to go with us. That bush is a very dangerous place. It is located near the Awkuzu Police Station and it is believed that is the place where the corpses of victims of police extrajudicial killings are dumped.

I heard that the Inspector-General of Police has set up a panel to investigate allegations of extrajudicial killings by some police officers in the state, on the media and it is a very welcome development. I expect that they will do a thorough job and ensure justice is served for those innocent people, and families that have fallen victim just as we have. It will go a long way in sanitising the police in the state. I am not the only one in this condition; many people are. A lot of people I know have fallen victim to circumstances at the hands of the police in the state. Look at how they invaded my home and took away my boy and two other people about a year ago. It is very pathetic.

If the panel sit. is in Anambra, I will like to go and testify so that the authorities hear my side of the story and do whatever they can do to locate my son and the two others that the police took away in April 2022. They should tell us their offences and why they were taken away.

Source: Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





Chrisland school

The Lagos State Government said it would sue Chrisland High School, Ikeja, some members of staff, and one of the vendors for “Involuntary Manslaughter and Reckless and Negligent Acts,” following the death of a 12-year-old student, Whitney Adeniran, during a sporting event organised by the school.

This is according to a Friday statement released by the Director, Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Justice and published to the ministry’s website.

“On the 9th of February 2023, Whitney Omodesola Adeniran, a student of Chrisland High School, Ikeja, aged 12 years, slumped during the Inter-house Sports organised by the school at the Agege Sports Stadium and was subsequently rushed to the Agege Central Hospital, Agege, Lagos, where she was confirmed ‘brought in dead’ (BID) by the doctor on duty,” the statement partly read.

The statement added that the case was referred to the police “which carried out a thorough investigation with the help of other agencies,” adding that, “The file (of the case) was subsequently forwarded to the DPP (Directorate of Public Prosecutions)’ Office on Monday 20th March, 2023, for review of the duplicate case file.

“On the 23rd of March, 2023, the DPP issued his Legal Advice and came to the conclusion that a prima facie case of Involuntary Manslaughter and Reckless and Negligent Acts had been established against the school, some members of staff and one of the vendors.”

Consequently, the statement noted that they shall “be charged with the offences of Involuntary Manslaughter and Reckless and Negligent Acts contrary to Sections 224 & 251 of the Criminal Law, Ch C17, Vol.3, Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

“Information will be filed in accordance with the legal advice issued by the DPP. Certified True Copies of the Legal advice are available on the Ministry of Justice website (”

Continue Reading






*Says 13 committees already set up to midwife transition 

*’President’s Daura community yearning to welcome him back’

The Presidency yesterday declared as “unfounded” insinuations in some quarters that President Muhammadu Buhari who campaigned vigorously for the emergence of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as the presidential-elect, has vowed not to hand over to him.
Rather, it said the Buhari-led government, which is currently at transition stage, had constituted different committees to midwife a new administration come May 29, 2023.

The Presidency in a statement entitled, “The President Never Said He Won’t Hand Over To Elected Tinubu”, issued by presidential spokesperson, Mallam Garba Shehu, also added that the hometown of President Buhari in Daura, Katsina State is agog with arrangements for the return of their son after his eight-year tenure as Nigerian President.

Shehu, in the statement said: “The Presidency wishes to denounce as outrageous and fake, and condemns the fake news brigade for attributing a false quote to President Muhammadu Buhari and circulating it.

“How can you vigorously campaign for somebody, vote for him and then say you won’t hand over to him? This beggars belief.”
He described the alleged report published by an online newspaper as “pretty pathetic”, adding: “Since their ownership is politically partisan in today’s politics, in fact a loser in the presidential election. Instead of talking about issues, they repeatedly sell lies in the hope that people believe them as truth.

“The government is already in the transition phase. The Transition Committee, made up of representatives of the outgoing administration and the incoming one is meeting on an almost daily basis planning the handover to the Tinubu/Shettima administration.
“Thirteen committees as offshoots of the main committee, some to arrange military drills and pulling out of President Buhari, are either all at work or soon to be. So far, everything is going very well and there is no indication of any hitches.

“As for the President, the Daura community has begun their preparations to receive their son back after the successful administration of the country for two terms of eight years. He, on his part, is eager to return home to enjoy his retirement.”

Continue Reading





Godwin Obaseki, the governor of Edo State, has raised the retirement age for teachers in Edo State to 65 or 40 years of service. This is part of his plan to improve the welfare of workers.

Godwin Obaseki, the governor of Edo State, has raised the retirement age for teachers in Edo State to 65 or 40 years of service. This is part of his plan to improve the welfare of workers.

Anthony Okungbowa, the state’s Head of Service, said this in a statement. He said that the governor’s approval shows that he is still committed to building a solid foundation for repositioning the education sector in the state.

He said: “Mr Governor has approved a new retirement age for teachers in Edo State. They will now retire when they clock 65 or 40 years of service, whichever is earlier.

“This is in demonstration of his commitment to ensuring that Edo teachers are the best motivated in Nigeria. It is important to remind Edo people that Edo teachers are the best-paid teachers and Edo workers are the best-paid workers in any public service in Nigeria.”

He said that the transition would ensure that teachers with decades of experience would keep their jobs and continue to help Edo students get a good education.

“This is another big win for Edo workers. The governor has continued to show that he will always place the interest of Edo workers above all else. Today, this is another testimony to that fact.”

Continue Reading


Copyright © Estreet On TV 2023