Connect with us

Nation

Hunger: 4.3 Million Adamawa, Borno, Yobe People Need $396 Million- UN

Published

on

Borno Hunger
Facebooktwitterpinterestmail

“We alerted last week that 4.3 million people in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states risk severe hunger from June to August.”

The UN and partners on Tuesday appealed for $396 million to stave off hunger and acute malnutrition among children in north-east Nigeria and to help people get through the upcoming lean season.

UN deputy spokesperson, Farhan Haq, made the appeal at a news conference at UN headquarters in New York.

“We alerted last week that 4.3 million people in the Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states risk severe hunger from June to August, and child malnutrition is expected to rise with some 700,000 children at risk of severe wasting,” stated the UN official. “Without additional funding, humanitarian organisations will only be able to reach about 300,000 of the people at risk. As we have seen in previous years, early funding can help pull food insecure households back from the brink.’

Briefing on Sudan, Mr Haq said the number of people internally displaced by the fighting had more than doubled in the past week.

“The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) says more than 700,000 people are now internally displaced by the violence – that’s compared to 340,000 people as of last Tuesday. Before the fighting began, some 3.7 million people were already internally displaced in Sudan, mainly in Darfur,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, the World Food Programme (WFP) says it will need nearly 13,000 tonnes of food to reach some 384,000 people across Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala and White Nile.

WFP currently has some 8,000 tonnes of food stocks in Port Sudan.

“In the coming days, the agency is expecting the arrival of two ships carrying food and supplies to treat moderate acute malnutrition. Since restarting food distributions last week, WFP says more than 35,000 people have been reached across Gedaref and Kassala, with distributions also underway in White Nile,’’ Mr Haq explained.

(NAN)

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinyoutubeinstagrammail
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

Anambra Govt. Arrests Two Fake Doctors, Shuts Down Hospitals

Published

on

The Anambra state government has arrested two fake medical doctors and sealed off their health facilities at Alor in Idemili South Local Government Area and Adazi-Enu in Anaocha Local Government Area of the state.

Dr Afam Obidike, the state’s commissioner for health, accompanied by some security operatives and members of the Anambra Joint Enforcement Team (ANJET), raided the areas on Friday night and arrested the suspects.

Speaking to newsmen on Saturday, the commissioner identified the suspects as Anayo Okwara, owner of Bright Land Hospital and Maternity Ltd in Alor and Igwe Ogbonna, owner of Favour of God Hospital and Maternity, Adazi-Enu.


He said that the suspects were operating the hospitals illegally in the state.


“Following investigation, it was discovered that Ogbonna is not even a medical doctor and does not have any medical knowledge.

“He also used his hospital as a nursing school, where students pay as much as N70,000 to N100,000 to study nursing. Some of the student nurses we met at the facility confirmed this.

“On Okwara, the second suspect, the president-general of Alor community, Chief Emmanuel Ojukwu, wrote to the ministry complaining about incessant deaths recorded at Bright Land Hospital.


“Okwara, first claimed that he was a homeopathic doctor, but later admitted that his medical certificates and license were forged when he was being questioned,” he said.


Mr Obidike said that five illegal health facilities had been shut down so far, saying that Gov. Chukwuma Soludo’s administration would not relent in its effort to flush out fake doctors operating across the state.


He said that the objective of the exercise was not to witch-hunt anyone but to ensure standards both in government and private hospitals in the state.


“It is unfortunate that death is an irreversible course and I do not understand why people who are not medical practitioners will continue to waste people’s lives because of greed and quest to make money through illegal means.


“We are sending out this warning to those operating illegally and parading themselves as medical doctors to close down their hospitals or face the full wrath of the law.


“Anambra is not a place for quacks to practice,” he said.


The commissioner thanked the community leaders and vigilante groups for the tip-off and urged residents to be vigilant and report such illegality in their areas.


He commended Mr Soludo for giving them the necessary support to execute the raid.

Mr Obidike said that the suspects would be charged to court.

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinyoutubeinstagrammail
Continue Reading

Nation

Abia LP Commends NLC For Calling Off Strike

Published

on

The Abia State Chapter of the Labour Party, led by Ceekay Igara, on Sunday, commended the organised labour in the state for showing solidarity with the incoming government of Alex Otti by calling off her two-week old strike.

Igara, in a statement signed by Njoku Jerry Ajike, the state publicity secretary of the party, said it was a sign of the great change that is about to happen among the Abia state workforce.

He stated, “We, as the political arm of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, consider this decision to call off the strike by the leadership of the TUC and NLC as a great act of patriotism and evidence of loyalty and support to the incoming Labour Party-led government of Dr Alex Otti.”

He explained that the leadership of the Congress arrived at the decision on May 27 after visiting the governor-elect, Alex Otti, at his residence.

“The incoming Executive Governor of Abia State, Dr. Alex Otti, had reassured the workers of his commitment to improving workers’ welfare without wavering,” the party assured Abians.

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinyoutubeinstagrammail
Continue Reading

Nation

Rivers Police Seal Ex- Lawmaker’s  Hotel, Entertainment Centre

Published

on

CSKR-Hotels

Two entertainment centres, the CSKR Hotels and Priscy’s Bar and Suites both in Elekahia, Port Harcourt, Rivers State were early on Monday morning sealed by armed policemen.

Staff and lodgers at the two sealed facilities were forcefully ordered out of the premises by the security operatives who stormed there in a commando style.

The businesses are owned by a former member of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Hon. Jones Ogbonda.

Ogbonda is said to be a staunch supporter of the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar.

It was gathered that the heavily armed operatives, all dressed in black, are said to be from the C4i Intelligence unit of the state police command.

Our correspondent who visited one of the sealed premises (Priscy’s Bar and Suites) at about 6:55 am on Monday reports that heavily armed, stern-looking policemen occupied the entrance, while two white Hilux patrol vans were stationed there.

In a voice note sent to our correspondent, Ogbonda confirmed the incident, saying the managers of the facilities put calls across to him in the wee hours of Monday to break the news.

He stated,” On the early hours of 29th May 2023 at about 2:55 am, my phone rand and my manager informed me that men of the C4i tactical team of the Nigeria Police Force in about five patrol vans drive into the premises of  Priscy’s Bar and suites in Elekahia.

“They ordered guests in the rooms, customers in the club and staff in the outer bar out, that they have orders from the governor to seal the place.

“As I speak, they are still occupying the premises.

“I also received a call from the manager of CSKR hotels at Elekahia Housing Estate to the effect that men of the C4i of the Nigeria Police were at the hotel searching from room to room, ordering guests and staff out of the premises.

“That they have taken occupation under the orders of His Excellency. This is sad.”

Our correspondent reports that on 19th August 2022,  the Priscy’s Bar and Suites was sealed and some staff and customers were arrested and detained by security operatives.

The bar was sealed off for 11 days before it was allowed to reopen.

When contacted, the spokesperson of the State Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, said she will contact the Elekahia Police Division and get back to our reporter.

She has yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Punch

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinyoutubeinstagrammail
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Estreet On TV 2023